I love a good green smoothie. I drink them all the time. But occasionally, I like to mix things up a little, and tahini is one of my favorite ways to do it.
Some fun facts about tahini:
- It contains protein (5 grams per two-tablespoon serving)
- It contains omega-3 and 6 essential fatty acids
- It has high levels of copper, magnesium, and manganese
- It has 10% of your recommended daily intake of calcium and iron per serving
- Tahini is hugely rich in phytosterols, which are helpful in lowering cholesterol
Oh, and it tastes incredible! So try this Middle-eastern superhero in your next smoothie, and let us know how it goes! My favorite recipe is below.
The Tahini Smoothie by Osmia Organics
- 2 T tahini
- 2 T protein powder (I use Nutiva hemp protein)
- 1 frozen banana (I freeze mine sliced and laid flat in ziploc bags - so easy!)
- 1 cup almond or vanilla almond milk
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T hemp seeds
- 1 T pumpkin seeds (raw)
- 2 walnuts
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus a dash on top for style points
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix or high-speed blender until creamy and smooth, and enjoy!
With love and splendid health from us to you,